How To Frost a Cake
Here are some simple steps for frosting a cake.
1. Let the cake cool, uncovered,
for four hours (or overnight).
2. Slice off thin layer, if top
of cake is domed.
3. Use a pastry brush to clean
off loose crumbs.
4. Place a spoon of icing on a
serving plate to keep cake from sliding.
5. Place the first layer on the
plate, top side down.
6. Spread 1/2 cup of frosting to
the edges on the first layer.
7. Place the second cake layer
on top of the first layer, top side up.
8. Frost the top and then the
sides of the cake.
9. For a smooth finish, let the
cake set for an hour.
10. Gently rub the surface
smooth with parchment paper and your hands.
- Store cakes in an airtight container at
about 40 degrees.
- Freeze a frosted cake on a cookie sheet.
Once frozen, place it in a plastic bag.
- Thaw cake, unwrapped, at room