Blue Ribbon Cake
"This has won three Blue Ribbons at three different fairs.
When making the frosting make sure that you use fresh squeezed
juice rather than bottled." Original recipe yield:
1 -9 inch layer cake.
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175
degrees C). Grease and line two 9-inch round cake pans
with parchment paper. Then grease and flour the paper.
- Sift together the cornstarch, flour,
baking powder and salt.
- Add the oil, milk, water and vanilla.
Beat until it forms a very smooth batter.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg
whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar and beat
until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and beat
until very well blended.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool then frost with Orange
- Cream the butter until light and
fluffy. Add the orange zest and salt. Beat in the
confectioners' sugar alternately with the orange and
lemon juices. Continue to beat until light and fluffy.
Use to frost cooled cake.