"Here is another practical
birthday cake from my mother's recipe file. It makes a lovely
layer cake. You may flavor it with lemon juice if you desire."
Original recipe yield: 3 - 8 inch layers.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Beat eggs and sugar together for 5
minutes. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, beat the egg and sugar mixture for 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175
degrees C). Grease three 8 inch cake pans.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking
powder together. Add the flour mixture alternately with
the boiling hot milk to the egg and sugar mixture. Stir
in vanilla extract. Pour the batter into the prepared
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cakes cool then fill and frost
with Seven Minute Frosting.